Zabs St Augustine Style Brown Butter Garlic Shrimp with Cabbage
1-1.5 lbs shrimp (deveined with shell/tail on)
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 8-10 cloves of garlic, sliced
- ⅓ cup Zab’s St. Augustine style hot sauce
- About ½ head green cabbage, shredded or sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Paper thin lemon slices
Pat shrimp dry and lightly sprinkle all over with salt
- Heat a large cast iron or heavy bottomed stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat
- Add 2 tbsp of butter to your pan, followed by the sliced garlic.
- Let the garlic slices sizzle in the butter, moving around the pan often until both the garlic and the butter are beginning to brown.
- Remove the butter and garlic from the pan and set aside in a large, heatproof tossing bowl.
- Add two more tablespoons of butter to the pan, and a drizzle of olive oil (this helps keep the butter from burning), then add one half of the shrimp to the pan and let brown on one side, undisturbed, for 3 minutes.
- Flip and cook for 1 additional minute on the other side, then add your first batch of shrimp to your large bowl holding the garlic and browned butter.
- repeat steps 6 & 7 with your second batch of shrimp.
- Once all shrimp have been cooked and added to the tossing bowl, add in ⅓ cup of Zab’s St. Augustine style hot sauce and toss with shrimp, butter, and garlic to coat.
- Place shredded cabbage into the hot cast iron skillet to wilt and sear in the juices, wait about 5 minutes, then add shrimp back to the skillet on top of the seared cabbage bed.
- Garnish with lots of black pepper, parsley, lemon slices, and green onion, and serve.