Slow Burnin' Braised Short Ribs
3 hours 5 minutes
Zab’s Saucemaster General
- 2 lbs. short ribs
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Onion
- 2 Medium Carrots
- 1 tomato
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 Tablespoons of Tomato Paste
- ½ bottle of red wine
- 1 6 Oz. Bottle Zab’s St. Augustine Style
- 1 bunch of thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Box beef stock
- 1 Tablespoon of butter
- Heat a Dutch oven and coat the bottom with oil.
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper and brown thoroughly on all sides.
- Remove short ribs and add onions, carrots, tomato and garlic.
- Cook until vegetables have released their liquid, the liquid has evaporated, and the veggies are brown (approx. 20 min.).
- Add tomato paste and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Add wine, Zab’s and herbs.
- Reduce wine by half.
- Add ribs back in, cover with stock.
- Place in 325 oven for 3 to 3.5 hours until meat is fork tender.
- Remove meat to a large sauté pan.
- Strain cooking liquid (and vegetables) into a fat separator and add liquid back to the sauté pan.
- Reduce the liquid to glaze and add butter to finish the sauce.